Lake Como Packages


The Italian Specialists

Awarded 'Best Tour Operator to the Italian Penisula 2011' at the British Travel Awards.



Thomson Lakes
Relax and unwind with Thomson Lakes

You are hereVilla Carlotta, Tremezzo

Villa Carlotta, Tremezzo


Perhaps the most famous of all the villas surrounding Lake Como, the Villa Carlotta is a gorgeous Baroque building that dates back to the beginning of the 18th Century, when it was built as a summer home by Marquis Giorgio Clerici, a well known resident of Milan. It is set on a hill bordering the Tremezzo Palace hotel and shares the same sweeping views across to Bellagio, which can be enjoyed from the Villa itself or the 70,000 sq metre botanical gardens that surround the building.

Clerici built the villas as a summer home, and designed it in Lombard Baroque style with some magnificient ceilings, and an Italian garden with stairways, ballustrades, fountains and a small waterfall. The villa was sold in 1795 to Gian Battista Sommariva who developed it to its full splendour by adorning it with famous works of art such as Canova's marble status.

In 1843 the villa was sold once again, to Princess Marianne of Nassau, the wife of Prince Albert of Prussia, who in turn gave it to their daughter, Carlotta, to celebrate her marriage to the Grand Duke of Sax-Meiningen. Tragically not long after the marriage Carlotta died, aged just 23, but the villa remained the property of the Sax-Meiningens until the outbreak of the first world war. During this period the gardens were widened as was the variety of plants within the garden - a staggering 500 varieties, including 150 types of rhodedendrons and azaleas, for which the gardens are most famous.

The villa can be visited between March and November between 9am and 4.30pm (with a 2hr break for lunch at 12.) The villa is situated in Tremezzo, and is just a short walk from the ferry platform.