You are hereComancina Island (Isola Comancina)
Comancina Island (Isola Comancina)
The island of Comancina, which lies just south of Tremezzo near the western shore of the lake, has been inhabited since the Roman age, and its historical signficance and environment have turned it into an important site. During the 6th Century BC it became a stronghold of Christian faith and resistance against barbarian invasions, when the residents of Lake Como were forced to shelter from the invasion on the island.
During the middle ages the island took on an important role politically and economically, but when a 10 year war between Como and Milan broke out the island's inhabitants sided with Milan, who defeated Como in 1127. However success was short lived, as 50 years later soldiers from Como rose up once more and invaded the island, following which it was ordered that no person should inhabit the island, and a curse was placed upon the isle by the Bishop of Como. In a bizarre twist of history the isle also belonged to the Kingdom of Belgium during the first world war, before being donated back to the Italians as a retreat for artists from Belgium and Italy.
As well as a beautiful location within the lake and gorgeous surroundings, the island offers plenty for lovers of archeology and antiquity - recent excavations have revealed a great deal of the islands history, including the ruins of a baptistery and the foundations of churches which can be explored by visitors. There is also a Baroque oratory called San Giacomo, which was built upon the remains of previous Roman and Romanesque buildings that should not be missed.
Comancina is also the site of one of the most famous restaurants in Lake Como, "La Locanda dell'Isola Comancina", who proudly declare that their set menu is so good it hasn't changed since 1948. With delicious, fresh dishes covered with plenty of lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil they're not wrong, and the restaurant's setting makes it a great place to take a long lunch while you enjoy the views.